Other Government Agencies

Our Role With Other Government Agencies

We work with all the appropriate government agencies to ensure your shipments arrive without a hitch. In just about every case, shipped freight must be released by all government agencies before they can be delivered to a customer’s warehouse. The only exception is the FDA.

Food and Drug Administration (FDA)

If prior notice (can be sent electronically through the web by anybody who has knowledge of the products) is submitted in detail to the FDA before the freight arrives, it can be moved onto the importer’s premises, but has to remain there unopened and undistributed until the FDA has approved its release. In addition, Cap Intl needs a copy of any prior notice to accompany our entry records. If prior notice is not given we can then take care of it through our programs direct to Customs and the FDA simultaneously.

Also, no merchandise can leave the city of arrival until it’s been FDA cleared. This is especially important if for example; we clear freight in one city (NY) and the importer or customer is in another city (Houston). So the freight must remain in New York until the FDA releases it for Houston. If the freight is moved and the FDA wants to examine it, the freight must be returned to its arrival city, in this case New York. If the freight is set for examination, we must make arrangements for an inspector to go on premises and examine it.

We are allowed to submit all data electronically, in detail, but if the FDA demands it, we must send them all documentation manually. This documentation includes everything from every product’s FDA classification, how the product is packed (the largest container to the smallest) to anything that may be touching the actual product, like plastic, paper or cardboard.

U.S. Department of Agriculture. (USDA-PPQ)

First and foremost, any plant or plant product needs a Phytosanitary Certificate, which must be obtained from the Department of Agriculture in the country of export by the shipper. Air shipments that lie in the Department of Agriculture’s jurisdiction get a notice of arrival form us, which is a form we put all technical data in. The Agriculture Customs Inspector then examines the freight; for air shipments we must assist in and be present for the examination. If ocean freight needs to be inspected we have to move it to an examination station and arrange for an exam.

Federal Communications Commission (FCC)

If the Federal Communications Commission governs the shipped product, we must submit the technical information electronically to them, the same information required on FCC Form 740. Some products aren’t flagged on the Harmonized tariff schedule as requiring FCC information, however from experience; we know that the FCC governs them. In this case we have to submit the actual FCC form 740 manually. If these measures aren’t taken the product may be seized.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) & the Department of Transportation (DOT)

We submit all EPA and DOT data for motor vehicles, including data for all vehicles that can be driven or used on the road and any part or parts of motor vehicles. Depending on the circumstances, the data can be submitted electronically or manually.

U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service

The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service regulates any living fish or animal, or any wild animal or product of any wild animal. Some protected animals are allowed in the country with a CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) permit. This permit is an international form and makes sure international trade in specimens of wild animals don’t threaten the survival of the species in the wild and gives varying degrees of protection to more than 34,000 species of animals and plants. Other animals are protected endangered species and not allowed into the country. These animals or products of such animals may be seized if imported. A certain number of endangered animals are allowed with a CITIES permit. They have no immediate threat for extinction but need to be controlled to guarantee their survival. The CITES permit is issued by the animal’s home country. The country’s own government keeps track of all parts relating to the animal.

In the case of live fish shipments, first and foremost, we have to submit an entry with the Fish & Wildlife Service. If the shipment is not cleared first by Fish & Wildlife, no government agency will clear the shipment. In addition, Fish & Wildlife Service must be pre-notified of its arrival by the importer or us. If pre-notification isn’t given there’s no guarantee an inspector will be able to check the cargo. Once the product has been cleared by Fish & Wildlife it can be submitted to Customs.

Whatever Cap International’s role may be with other government agencies you can be sure our personnel handles every communication with the utmost accuracy and professionalism. Talk to your Cap Intl Customs Broker today. Call us at (832-649-4392) or email us at logistics@capcustomsbroker.com

Leave a Reply